Your Ayurveda knowledge is never complete without learning about Amla and its numerous benefits. Popularly acknowledged as the greatest source of Vitamin C, the benefits of Amla are limitless.
This is a take on some of the top health benefits of Amla, with the onus on its immunity care.
Amla: Vitamin C Powerhouse
With a sour and bitter flavour, Amla is not according to everyone’s taste. But this green-coloured fruit should be a part of your diet for achieving general health and wellness goals.
Amla contains 20 times as much Vitamin C as an orange. Amla (Indian Gooseberry) is an essential gift from nature and is a proven Ayurvedic remedy existing in nature for over 1000 years.
Amla is not just a powerhouse of Vitamin C benefits but other antioxidants too. It includes fibre, minerals, nutrients and polyphenols (corilagin, gallic acid and ellagic acid for repairing free radical damage in the body).
Amla also helps you with the power of proteins, carbohydrates and fat, calcium, phosphorus, iron and micronutrients.
Best Ways for You to Consume Amla
You can consume Amla using multiple sources as per your convenience and taste. The best-known methods to include Amla in your diet are as follows:
- Health Tonic (Nellikkarishtam) - Nothing tops the goodness of Amla compared to its inclusion in Nellikkarishtam. It is an Ayurveda health tonic with proven results in boosting your health and wellness.
Regular consumption of Bipha Ayurveda Nellikkarishtam (Amla Arishtam) is effective for building immunity. The herbal formulation also includes clove as an ingredient.
Bipha Nellikkarishtam is perfect for a variety of benefits in skincare, hair care, general body health, illness control and wellness enhancement.
- Raw Amla Fruit - This is the easiest and most direct way of including Amla in your diet. Raw Amla is one of the best Vitamin C rich foods in the world. Amla berries are a famous alternative in this regard, with guaranteed freshness for up to 2 weeks.
- Amla Juice - Perhaps the best feasible option to consume Amla, drink it without sugar. Add flax seeds, carrot and tulsi for the best results.
- Amla Chutney - If you add less salt and preservatives, then Amla chutney is perfect for the entire household to consume.
- Amla Raita - This is another healthy option to take Amla, where you get the goodness of green chilli, curd and coriander as well.
- Amla Sabzi - A popular and rich vegetable dish in almost all Indian households, sabzi is a cool choice to prepare and include Amla in your diet.
- Amla Pickle - Amla pickle is a great choice to consume the fruit but be careful of the high salt content that is synonymous with all pickles.
- Amla Sweets - Various sweet preparations can include Amla, like jams, candies and murabba. The only demerit about this is the high sugar content that may cause other health disorders.
Health Benefits of Amla
Listed below are the health benefits of Amla that create an impact on your overall well-being.
A standard serving portion of Amla (100g) is ideal for providing more than the recommended daily dose of Vitamin C. This helps to improve your overall immunity.
Rich in alkaloids, flavonoids and polyphenols, Amla promotes properties in anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory functions.
Relieves Digestive Disorders
Amla is one of the best natural remedies to help your digestive care. It plays a supportive role in curing conditions like indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and diarrhoea.
Helps Control Diabetes
The chromium content in Amla is a working factor that offers therapeutic support for people suffering from diabetes and related symptoms.
Supports Hair Growth
Don’t forget about the role of Amla in hair care. The rich content of antioxidants in Amla is effective for preventing hair damage and controlling premature greying. Protection from hair fall is also a benefit of Amla.
Though not as effective as Brahmi, Amla possesses antioxidants and phytonutrients that can secure your brain cells from the attack of free radicals within the system. The Vitamin C in Amla boosts norepinephrine production in your body and helps improve brain functions like memory.
Improves General Health
Even without the special qualities, Amla is a working ingredient to aid in your general health and wellness. It helps in increasing the health of your eyes and facilitates blood glucose and lipid levels in your body.
Amla is an empowering remedy to help control your issues with the common cold and cough. It helps in body detoxification and purification, thereby helping shed extra body weight.
Amla is a superfruit supporting our health since ancient times and is here to stay. When it comes to Amla, the mantra is pretty simple. Consume as much Vitamin C as you can!